In order for Google Maps Widget to work properly, Google requires everyone to have a valid API key. The key can be quickly and easily created from the Google’s API Console.
- Open Google Developers Console from this link
- From the dropdown list, choose “Create a Project“
- Click the “Continue” button and wait for a few seconds
- You will see “Add credentials to your project” title -> click the API key link
- Give it a name (for example “GMW key”), and leave “Key restriction” selected None
- Click on the Create button and copy your API key
- Go back to the Dashboard and select Maps Static API from the list
- Move to the “URL Signing Secret” tab
- Click on the “Allow unsigned usage” button and confirm it by clicking the “Allow unsigned usage” on the popup window
- Go back to your WordPress site -> Settings -> Google Maps Widget PRO
- Paste your API key and save changes
*Please note that it might take several minutes before your new API key becomes functional.
Google Cloud billing
Recently, Google has made some changes related to the usage of Google Maps API. Before you can start using the API key, you will also need to set up your billing account. Don’t worry – although you need to set it up, that doesn’t mean that you actually have to pay for anything extra.
Google still offers $200 free monthly usage which is more than enough for 99% of the users. So, unless you have millions of visitors per months, you shouldn’t worry.
Documentation didn't help? Contact support!
Customers who purchased and have a valid PRO license, those who donated or are on trial - contact our support via email. Either email us from the address you used when purchasing, or include your license key in the email. This speeds things along.
Using the free version? We have you covered too. Head over to the forums. First look at older threads and if you don't find anything useful open a new thread. Support is community-powered so it can take some time to get an answer. If you need premium support this second - upgrade to PRO.